Above, Features Editor Elissa Choi, left, and Editor in Chief Amanda Godfrey with the award-winning entries from the Van Nuys High School Mirror.

By Tyler Jung and Tommy Chan
The Van Nuys High School Mirror

The award-winning Mirror staff produces the school’s newsmagazine, as well as a news website.

The Mirror, the student-produced newspaper at Van Nuys High School, earned recognition recently as one of the nation’s top high school publications by winning two awards from the National Scholastic Press Association (NSPA).

The Mirror staff placed third in the Design of the Year in the Newsmagazine Page/Spread category for its December 2016 layout: “All Hail the Hater-in-Chief.”  Reporters Khrista Sayo and Elissa Choi garnered an honorable mention for Story of the Year in the Diversity Series category. Their article “How Race Plays a Role in College Admissions,” also appeared in the December issue. The awards were announced at the press association’s fall convention in Dallas.

Layout Editor Shimla Rahman, left, confers with Editor in Chief Amanda Godfrey.

In selecting The Mirror for honors, NSPA judges sifted through thousands of entries in search of the nation’s best examples of scholastic journalism.

Van Nuys High School is among a handful of California journalism programs to be recognized by the NSPA in 2017.

The school has continuously published a student newspaper for over 100 years. Last year, the school switched to a newsmagazine format to offer more in-depth coverage of the issues facing its readers. It also launched a website, vnhsmirror.com, to provide continuous news coverage in addition to the monthly newspaper.

Editor’s note: An earlier edition of this story incorrectly reported that Van Nuys High School was the only L.A. Unified journalism program to be recognized by the NSPA in 2017. Paul Revere Middle School was among 26 schools in the nation – and the only middle school – to be awarded the 2017 Newspaper Pacemaker Award, the highest honor awarded by the organization.